About Me

My photo
Previously a private banker, now an avid cookie artist and a full time mum of 2 who moved from Sydney to the buzzing city of Hong Kong. I started decorating cookies since Jan 2014 and it's my passion to create cookies that bring a smile on everyone. Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/cookieandme

Friday 9 May 2014

Elmo Cookie Tutorial

Lalalala Elmo's song~

One of my best friend's kid loves Elmo (who doesn't?). I am making these for her little one as they visit from overseas. Elmo's laughter is infectious and I remember back in high school, a few of my closest friends gave me a laughting Elmo stuff toy for birthday. It was precious. After more than 10 years, it's still laughing!

Anyway, this is how I made these Elmo cookies and there are steps I would do differently next time.

I use the 20 second icing for all of the icing consistency. The consistency needs to be a bit more stiff due to the humidity in Hong Kong.

STEPS:
Download pictures of Elmo/Cookie Monster/Big Bird and adjust them to the size of your cookie cutter before printing/tracing. Then cut out all the critical parts as shown below.


1) Trace the outline onto the cookie using a food colour pen. Pipe eyes using wet-on-wet technique. *I would change to piping black on dried white icing next time. Pipe the mouth also at this stage, so that later, it will appear under it's red fur instead of on top of it.

2) Pipe the red fur once the eyes and mouth are dried.

3) If you wish to create the furry look, let the icing dry for a minute and then using a toothpick, lift the icing gently up to create fur dimension. If desired peak is not formed, wait and let the icing dry a bit longer before trying again. Tip: Cover the top part of the mouth with 'fur' when the icing is still wet using a toothpick.


I have included a picture of the different fur dimension. Which one do you prefer?


Pipe the nose last when the icing is completely dried.

DONE!


Baby Elmo, Cookie Monster and Big Bird...


'Big Bird' tutorial, please click here.



1 comment: