About Me

My photo
Previously a private banker, now an avid cookie artist and a full time mum of 2 who moved from Sydney to the buzzing city of Hong Kong. I started decorating cookies since Jan 2014 and it's my passion to create cookies that bring a smile on everyone. Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/cookieandme

Sunday 16 March 2014

Cookie cutters and food colouring

I am now 3 months into my cookie art addiction and finally decided to write a blog documenting my journey under my husband's encouragement.

Like many of my cookie predecessors, I am also addicted to cookie cutters. So far, I've collected just over 200 cutters, these are from all sorts of places:- Taobao(淘寶), eBay, Wilton, City Super, Twinsco(二得惠), Sweet Decorations and Living Plaza by Aeon. But I think I am not going to stop here, I am always on the look out for more unique cutters. How lucky are those cookiers who live in the States to be able to get custom made cutters!


Being a bit of a perfectionist (it's a better word for my OCD/pickiness/artist temperament), I always tweak cutters or trim cookie dough here and there after they have been cut with cookie cutters to make them perfect for me. It is time consuming but I just want my cookies to be as perfect as I can do.

I have these Americolor food colouring gels and pens below. They claim to be the worlds finest food colouring and all the cookie professionals I came across agree that they produce the most vibrant colours with a small amount. The colours I have are super black, super red, tulip red, bright white, lemon yellow, warm brown, royal blue, sky blue, deep pink, leaf green and ivory. They can be purchased from Sweet Decorations. I also have some edible dusts, shown here.




No comments:

Post a Comment