About Me

My photo
Previously a private banker, now an avid cookie artist and a full time mum of 2 who moved from Sydney to the buzzing city of Hong Kong. I started decorating cookies since Jan 2014 and it's my passion to create cookies that bring a smile on everyone. Facebook Page: http://www.facebook.com/cookieandme

Sunday 16 March 2014

Chinese New Year Cookies

Ok, this is the real deal. My first set of art cookies which made me feel like I am really stepping into the shoe of a cookie decorator. From designing, which is inspired by my virtual 'mentor' Sugarbelle, to customising the cookie shape, from mixing multiple colours to piping with different techniques, I enjoyed every step of the way.

My idea was that the girls are holding a Chinese New Year Candy Box (全盒) and a lucky red banner (揮春) with an upside down chinese character of Luck (福) meaning luck is coming, the plum blossoms give you luck in your love life, aren't Chinese people obsessed with getting lucky... Here I wish everyone good luck and happiness all your life, and most importantly, stay healthy!


I used a matryoshka doll cutter below, and added the little hair buns which were cut using a straw. I love the glossiness of royal icing when it was still wet. The royal icing recipe I use can be found here, it's called the Antonia74 royal icing naming after the creator. It's one of the most popular recipe for homemade royal icing.


These Chinese New Year cookies were made around mid January for my daughter's school CNY party. Later a parent told me she thought that they were store-bought by the school. *smile* My husband also took some to his workplace and I've received some positive comments. He even said his boss's wife is interested to learn from me. How overwhelming!




No comments:

Post a Comment